Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 03:33:50 MST

2009/3/5 Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com>:

>> In the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics it is postulated
>> that we are duplicated all the time, and the observed probabilities
>> occur because we only experience being one of the duplicates in
>> one of the universes.
>
> Many-worlds is indistinguishable from the case that there is one universe in a definite quantum state, but you don't know what that state is.

That's the point: your subjective expectation of seeing heads when you
are duplicated and the two copies see opposite sides of the coin
should be the same as your subjective possibility of seeing heads when
you toss a coin in ordinary life. You can point out that "subjective
probability" has no real objective basis in either case, but that's
why it's called subjective.

--
Stathis Papaioannou