Re: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity

From: Brad Johnson (shadow_slysar@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 30 2009 - 06:49:53 MDT

  What you write is highly interesting to read. However, I cannot help but point out that you are entirely failing to perceive the concept of the word singularity. To say ‘technological singularity’ is tantamount to saying ‘drug’. It is totally generic and general to the vast implications we face. I agree with you that there will not be a technological singularity. There will be multiple singularities. You spend a great deal of effort speaking about the AI and FAI aspects of singularity as if this addresses the entire issue. Computers gain in information processing speed, information processing amount and information processing complexity at quite predictable rates. The human mind does none of these things very well. Placed on a graph beside each other a day will come when AI reaches human levels and then the next day we will see it exceed them. This is not speculation. An AI singularity cannot not occur unless the human species fails to bring it about by not surviving long enough to achieve it or by some social means like technophobia. This is how you have focused on the singularity but this is not the only way that a technological singularity might occur. In a nanotechnological singularity mankind might evolve rather rapidly. Microscopic machines might filter through our DNA eliminating any disease at first, then improving upon what we have. Homosapien might jump into a pool only to be immediately transformed into homoaquaticus to better suit the environment. Physical immortality could be achieved within this scenario as well as global devastation via our beloved grey goo scenario. There are mind-machine interface versions of the singularity and biotechnological singularities which could be conceived. Any aspect or facet of technology has implied known and unknowable potential singularities. Within the definition of ‘singularity’ must include the unknowable. Our minds cannot presently fathom what might occur. Just like a black hole in outer space. So when you say that you do not believe in the singularity: You really are missing the point altogether. ----- Original Message ---- From: Giulio Prisco (2nd email) <eschatoon@gmail.com> Subject: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity -- -- Giulio Prisco http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Giulio_Prisco aka Eschatoon Magic http://cosmeng.org/index.php/Eschatoon