Re: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 10:44:20 MDT

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 "Vladimir Nesov" <robotact@gmail.com> said:

> How to interface incompleteness with "goals" and "infinite loops" and
> "mind" and goals being "fixed" is far from being obvious

Godel proved that there are some things that are true but have no proof,
that means you will never find a counterexample to show it to be wrong
and never find a finite proof to prove it right. This wouldn't be so bad
if you could determine that some things are false or true but
unprovable, then you could just ignore them and move on to other things;
but in 1936 Turing showed that you can't even do that. That means that
in general you can't determine if you are in a infinite loop or not;
perhaps you will get your answer in 2 more seconds, perhaps 3, perhaps
10 billion years, perhaps never. Real minds get around this problem by
getting bored, after tackling a task for a long time and making no
progress they get bored and move on to other problems that look more
productive. A fixed goal mind could never do this, a fixed goal mind
never gets bored so it's stuck forever. That's why evolution never made
a fixed goal mind.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark