Re: [sl4] Complete drivel on this list: was: I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 10:47:29 MDT

See Stuart Armstrong's post just sent a few minutes ago on this
thread; John is claiming that the math of Turing and Goedel proves
things that it simply, clearly, does not in any way actually prove.
He his making new and novel statements about important mathetical
theorems that are quite well understood by many, many people on this
list. I can't speak for others, but I had to hand-derive both of
them from scratch as part of my Bachelor's.

So far:

- no-one agrees with him that those pieces of math prove the things
  he says they do

- he refuses to listen to anyone who tries to explain what they
  actually show

- he hasn't actually shown any *math* for what he claims is a
  straight mathematical result

That's really all there is to it; see how it stands up at lists like
http://primes.utm.edu/notes/crackpot.html or
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html , but substituting
Turing for the various famous scientists on those lists.

When I say that something obviously derives from an important
mathematical proof, I will *show you the math*. Until then, calling
me a nutcase for asking someone else to do so seems rather abrupt.

It's true I didn't ask him for the math in that particular post, but
that's because having done it many times, and having seen others do
the same many times, I'm just tired of the whole thing.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something