Re: [sl4] Complete drivel on this list: was: I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: Pavitra (celestialcognition@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 17:33:17 MDT

Mu In Taiwan wrote:
> a) "goal" b) "fixed goal" c) "top level goal" d) "*real* top level goal" e)
> "mind" f) "fixed goal mind"

I think "real top level goal" is mine. What I mean by it is this:

JKC describes some formal system X, calling it a "fixed goal system" and
calling the formal definition of X the "top level goal" of X. He then
asserts that X has undesirable/stupid/infinite-looping/bricky behavior,
and proposes embedding it in some other system Y, such that Y decides
whether to continue running X or to get bored and do something else
instead. I refer to Y as the "real top level goal" of the compound
system/scenario Y(X).

It's possible that I've grossly misunderstood what JKC means by his
terms, in which case "real top level goal" refers only to the products
of my deranged imagination.