Re: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: Arets Paeglis (astronfo@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 15:44:32 MDT

You may be very well aware of that the average value fully depends
solely on the input parameters, i.e. on the given sequence of numbers.
So, as long as the sequences being fed in the algorithm do not follow
a cyclical pattern, equally will not the calculated values. Finiteness
of memory in this case limits only the maximum length of computable
sequence (and, technically, the size of the code representing the
algorithm), but not whether the algorithm is linear or cyclical. More
so, it is obviously possible to construct a cyclical algorithm running
for only a finite amount of steps, thus still escaping any flow
infinities.

Of course, most real programs are infinite loops in the sense they
will run indefinitely *unless specific exit conditions are met*; this,
I assume, could very well be true in the case of AI, too; in normal
conditions, it would operate without terminal interrupt, i.e.
"pseudo-infinitely". On the other hand, the Big Bang model predicts a
finite Universe with a finite amount of included matter, therefore,
with this, there can be no true infinities at all outside pure
mathematical theory.