Re: [sl4] Alan Turing's results are profound

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 22:26:41 MDT

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 07:19:42PM -0700, John K Clark wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 "Robin Lee Powell"
> <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> said:
>
> > In the same way parents get bored of caring for their kids, and
> > just walk away and leave them to die, right?
>
> Right, it happens every day.
>
> > Oh, wait, they don't. (not normally, anyways)
>
> Normally? It only needs to happen once and the human race is no
> loger in charge, probably no longer alive.

Ummm.

You asserted that such a mind without a "fixed goal system" was
impossible, and yet, 90+% of human parents raise their children
without ever getting bored and leaving them to die. Proof by
existence: many human minds succeed at this, and without getting
into infinite loops.

We only need to create one such mind; this isn't a random search
through mind space, any more than you get a car by randomly throwing
molecules together.

-Robin

--
They say:  "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm  thinking:  "Does it even occur to you to try for something