Re: [sl4] Alan Turing's results are profound

From: Larry (entropy@farviolet.com)
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 07:57:02 MDT

I've been too busy for much of anything lately but have to
jump in.

While turing machines are mathmatically interesting, they
have little relevance to AI. A brain doesn't work on a
fixed set of inputs, nor even on a predictable set of
inputs. As such the halting problem is irrelevant to
it, it doesn't work in isolation like a turing machine.

Of course on a universal level, a brain being just one
more piece of the cosmos. We could easily see either see
the halting problem in an infinite universe, or state
machine wrap around in a finite one. But even then
its facing much bigger challenges like running out energy,
or the "big crunch", these two possible fates will be of
only intellectual curiousity.