Re: [sl4] Alan Turing's results are profound

From: Charles Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 10:15:24 MDT

As far as we can tell the brain operates on a finite set of inputs.
Consciousness ignores most of the incoming signals, but they exist at
the interface. So for the purpose of this discussion Turing machines
are relevant.

I rather agree that Turing machines don't have much to do with actual
implementation of an AI, but they're easy to prove theorems about, and
they can be proven equivalent (within certain constraints) to any other
computer, so they're useful for setting a framework.

Just to be clear I am denying the assertion "A brain doesn't work on a
fixed set of inputs, nor even on a predictable set of inputs." on the
grounds that the sensory nerves are finite in number, and each one is
finite in the number of states that it can occupy. If either of these
assertions is challenged, then I see reason to disagree with my
conclusions, but both seem (to me) rather certain. You may not be able
to predict which inputs will be used, but you can create a set of all
possible input signals for any situation, and then create a family of
Turing machines that cover those signals. (Yeah, it's an unreasonably
large set. This kind of explosion happens when you are trying to prove
things with vague boundaries. The fact that it's unreasonably large
doesn't keep you from determining characteristics that are true for all
members of the set.)