Re: [sl4] The Starving Artist Experiment

From: Johnicholas Hines (johnicholas.hines@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 05 2009 - 05:46:40 MST

The original poster is not concerned with AI; they were really talking
about a biofeedback device intended to amplify human intelligence
analogously to the (posited) amplification of the artist's talent by
hunger.

Intelligence amplification devices are interesting. The general
principle of the device seems plausible - hijack the motivators we're
evolved for (e.g. food, novelty, social contact) in order to amplify
our motivations to pursue goals that we're intellectually committed
to, but practically pursue with less diligence than the older
motivator. An anti-akrasia device.

However, the specific example doesn't do much for me - I'd expect
hungry artists to perform poorly compared to well-fed artists
competing for social status, which is basically what we have now.

Johnicholas