Re: [sl4] The Jaguar Supercomputer

From: Luke (wlgriffiths@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 22 2009 - 12:23:08 MST

@Mu In Taiwain:

re: 1) When I said "hogwash", I was referring to the statement "IBM
simulated a cat cortex". I wasn't referring to you, or them, or anyone else
who might have said it. I was referring to the statement itself. I
recognized your uncertainty because you used the word "asserts", which marks
the statement as coming from the third-person. You continue to have my
respect.

re: 2) What I described would definitely be a particular brain. What about
being a "useful human" might not be captured if you were able to capture the
behavior of that particular brain?

@Matt Mahoney: Where does this 10**9 (10**15) come from again? Is that the
full storage capacity of the brain? Something like (num_synapses *
num_possible_weights_per_synapse)? If it is, what do you think of the
conjecture that one could ("sufficiently") characterize a neural network by
a set of input/output that would be far smaller than the total storage
capacity of the network?

Thanks
 - Luke