Re: [sl4] The Jaguar Supercomputer.

From: Luke (wlgriffiths@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 22 2009 - 16:35:32 MST

@BillK: points as follows:

1. Intelligence has a lot to do with knowledge. So I don't think an insect
could be as "intelligent" as a human, precisely because it cannot store as
much information.

2. FTA: "Computer modelling shows that even consciousness can be generated
with very small neural circuits, which could in theory easily fit into an
insect brain." Wait a second ... computer scientists have explained
consciousness? When did that happen??

@John K Clark: As far as I know, there are at least three states of
relationship between an upstream neuron and a downstream neuron:
 excitatory, inhibitory, or not-connected. I have also assumed for a long
time that the first two states could exist to varying degrees. So that's
more than a bit.

Finally, there are over 100 neurotransmitters, any combination of which can
act at a particular synapse.

@Adam (friend of mine who's studied the brain more than me): do you know
the answer to this? What can we know about the information capacity of a
synapse? Do you know of any resources?

 - Luke