Re: [sl4] The Jaguar Supercomputer.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sun Nov 22 2009 - 22:46:46 MST

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:35:32 -0500, "Luke" <wlgriffiths@gmail.com> said:

> As far as I know, there are at least three states of relationship between an upstream neuron and
> a downstream neuron: excitatory, inhibitory, or not-connected. I have also assumed for a
> long time that the first two states could exist to varying degrees. So that's more than a bit.

Ok granted there could be 3 states not 2, but given our level of
uncertainty that amounts to little more than a rounding error. The state
of a synapse is certainly repeated redundantly hundreds of times in
other nearby
synapses , probably thousands, and perhaps many thousands of times; we
don't know the precise number.

> there are over 100 neurotransmitters, any combination of which can act at a particular synapse.

To my knowledge there is no evidence that the memory encoded in LTP
depends on what chemical comes knocking on the door of a synapse.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm