Re: [sl4] The Jaguar Supercomputer

From: Luke (wlgriffiths@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 07:47:38 MST

Thanks for the sources, Matt. I see now what you mean w/ regard to the
information capacity being smaller than I might have anticipated.

However, you said: "If the information capacity of the brain is 10^9 bits,
then you need at least 10^9 bits of compressed training data to characterize
it."

This seems like a very reasonable assumption, but only because it's a simple
statement. If we were talking about hard drives I'd be convinced.

Consider this: given a specific behavior set (i.e. desired
stimulus-response pairings), are there not many different sets of weights
which could all accomplish that behavior? If this is the case, then it
would stand to reason that something less than the entire informational
capacity of the system would be necessary to "sufficiently" characterize it,
i.e. to characterize the stimulus-response pairings.

That last statement assumes that we're talking about the "informational
capacity" of all of the synapses. But it sounds like all of the
measurements that come up with this 10**9 ; 10**15 have been from the edge
anyway, so they may actually be the numbers we're looking for. In other
words, what we need to specify is the interfaces, not the nuts-and-bolts
that make those interfaces work.

 - Luke