Goals of AI (was Re: [sl4] The Jaguar Supercomputer)

From: Matt Mahoney (matmahoney@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 22:09:08 MST

Matt Paul wrote:
> What is the goal here? Eternal humans, supercomputers, or both?

We don't like to work for others and we don't want to die. AI could help us achieve both goals. When we solve the language, vision, and human behavior modeling problems, the labor problem will be solved. As a side effect, so will the second problem. We will have the technology to create robots that look like you and simulate your behavior so well that nobody could tell the difference. They would be you, right?

But forget this silly idea of godlike AI serving humanity. Self replicating robots would evolve just like DNA based life, only faster. Why would they need humans?

 -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@yahoo.com