Re: [sl4] The Jaguar Supercomputer

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 01:22:38 MST

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 "Matt Paul" <lizardblue@gmail.com> said:

> Is the intelligence that has advanced humanity actually able to be
> recreated in a machine?

Yes obviously.

> I mean what is it.

If I could give a complete answer to that I could make a AI right now. I
can't. I will say that the only difference between Albert Einstein and
the stupidest person you ever saw in you life is how their atoms are
arranged. The only way I could be wrong about that is if the soul is
real. I think the soul is BULLSHIT!

> It seems to me that the human "intelligence" that has advanced us is comprised of much more
> than just processing power. It involves fairly tough to understand
> things like creativity, the ability to imagine, etc.

I agree, hardware is important but it's not enough, you're going to need
some first class programing.

> What about motivations such as compassion, comfort, hate, love, fear of death,
> desire to defeat an enemy, etc.

What about them?

> Also, can someone cite some examples of what might a super-
> intelligence do that would truly make our lives better?

Most on this list think an AI would be Santa Claus on steroids. I don't.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm