Re: Goals of AI (was Re: [sl4] The Jaguar Supercomputer)

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 07:25:46 MST

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com> wrote:

> vision, and human behavior modeling problems, the labor problem will be
> solved. As a side effect, so will the second problem. We will have the
> technology to create robots that look like you and simulate your behavior so
> well that nobody could tell the difference. They would be you, right?
>
> But forget this silly idea of godlike AI serving humanity. Self replicating
> robots would evolve just like DNA based life, only faster. Why would they
> need humans?

Technology "ehanced" cognition even short of upload may make mobility more
complicated, so those lifelike telepresence robots would be convenient to
"put on" the same way clothing is convenient to protect against cold
temperature. Telepresence will really be an interim or niche technology
though because virtual worlds are probably more efficient use of computation
power than managing the complexity of the physical world. I say niche
because there may still be some use for machines to move server hardware,
but the general public will move away from embodiment after the initial fad
wears off.

I think the concept of "human" will evolve so that it is less of a taxonomic
term about the animal and more about the behavior of 'humanity.'