Re: [sl4] Re: goals of AI.

From: John K Clark (
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 13:34:57 MST

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 "Matt Paul" <> said:

> There are aspects of our "intelligence" that I think may not truly be
> physical, not a neurochemical process, not a logic system that can be
> mathematically represented.

I am not surprised, nearly everybody would agree with you because nearly
everybody believes in the soul even if they don't like the word very
much. I don't.

> What about motivations such as compassion, comfort, hate, love,
> fear of death, desire to defeat an enemy, etc.

I wish I understood why people assume that emotions are harder to
replicate than intelligence when evolution found the opposite to be

> It seems to me that there is much about our intelligence that has
> little to do with our grey matter
> other than being a receiver of some sort.

As I said I'm one of those rare weirdos who think the idiotic idea of a
soul should have died in the middle ages, or better yet in prehistory.

> I see no discussion of morphogenetic fields and how those are a part of our intelligence.

It's true we don't talk about that much, let's see what the dictionary
has to say about it:

morphogenetic field: mrf&#601;j&#601;&#712;netik f&#275;ld

A huge stinking pile of putrid shit.

I just steped into this morphogenetic field and now it's all over my
shoe. Excrement. Manure. Fecal material.

> What about intuition, what about imagination?

What about them?

> How would one mimic imagination?

By presenting alternatives.

> How would one mimic dreams/desires

> How would you model our non-local features (assuming they really are
> non-local)? Why would a super AI want to go to work everyday any more than we do?
> Why would a super AI give even a shred of doodoo about us?

Unfortunately I am not allowed to answer further because you have
exceeded your allowed ration of question marks.

 John K Clark

  John K Clark
-- - The way an email service should be