Re: [sl4] Re: goals of AI.

From: Matt Paul (lizardblue@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 22:35:44 MST

On Nov 24, 2009, at 1:34 PM, "John K Clark" <johnkclark@fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 "Matt Paul" <lizardblue@gmail.com> said:
>
>> There are aspects of our "intelligence" that I think may not truly be
>> physical, not a neurochemical process, not a logic system that can be
>> mathematically represented.
>
> I am not surprised, nearly everybody would agree with you because
> nearly
> everybody believes in the soul even if they don't like the word very
> much. I don't.

I'm not talking about a soul. I'm speaking on components of
consciousness that may not reside in a physical manifestation. I don't
know if you see the distinction here...

>> It seems to me that there is much about our intelligence that has
>> little to do with our grey matter
>> other than being a receiver of some sort.
>
> As I said I'm one of those rare weirdos who think the idiotic idea
> of a
> soul should have died in the middle ages, or better yet in prehistory.

Again, not talking about a soul. It is experimentally provable that
there is some sort of non-local aspect to our access to information. I
would certainly not exclude this as a component of our intelligence.

>> I see no discussion of morphogenetic fields and how those are a
>> part of our intelligence.
>
> It's true we don't talk about that much, let's see what the dictionary
> has to say about it:
>
> morphogenetic field: môrf&#601;j&#601;&#712;netik f&#275;ld
>
> noun
> A huge stinking pile of putrid shit.
>
> Thesaurus:
>
> I just steped into this morphogenetic field and now it's all over my
> shoe. Excrement. Manure. Fecal material.

I take it you don't believe morphogenetic field theory even though
experimentally it seems to be valid...

>> What about intuition, what about imagination?
>
> What about them?

Ummm, no imagination = no creation/creativity.
Seems a bit to obvious to be missed by people smart enough to theorize
about AI.

>> How would one mimic dreams/desires
>
> Superbly.

Nice non-answer.