Re: [sl4] Re: goals of AI... non physical components of mind != soul

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Wed Nov 25 2009 - 21:58:47 MST

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 "Mu In Taiwan" <mu.in.taiwan@gmail.com> said:

> Imagine if I created a perfect copy of your physical body, transplanted
> your brain into it, woke you up, then put the afore-mentioned computer
> into your 'old' body. Now, I must grind up one of the bodies. Which will it be?
> As much as I hate Searle, I fear it would be my old body that be getting ground up.

At the end of the day how would you determine if your orders about which
body was to be destroyed were actually carried out as specified? And if
you find out that a misunderstanding had occurred and the body grinding
department had destroyed the wrong body can you think of any logical
reason you should be concerned about that? I can't.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm