Re: [sl4] Uploading (was : goals of AI)

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 00:42:44 MST

2009/12/2 John McNamara <harlequin@novastar.org>:

> If a friend had an upload made and they didn't survive, I would
> consider my friend dead, mourn them and probably avoid the upload to
> preserve my own mental health.

What if your friend went away for a year and, while they were away,
the matter in their body was replaced, so that when you see them again
they are actually a different person who looks like your friend, has
your friend's memories and personality traits, and honestly believes
they are your friend? Because that's what actually happens as a result
of normal metabolic processes.

--
Stathis Papaioannou