Re: [sl4] Uploading

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 03:53:24 MST

2009/12/3 Stuart Armstrong <dragondreaming@googlemail.com>:

> Just to pick on one small issue, I estimate there in no more than 1%
> chance that quantum effects in the brain are fundamental to identity.
> These quantum effects are impossible to duplicate. So if a seemingly
> perfect copy's behaviour diverges too fast, I would say that I was
> wrong, that these quantum effects were important after all, and that
> the original is the true Stuart and the copy is a mutated Stuart. If
> the mutated Stuart is still somewhat similar to me, he would agree
> with that proposition.

I assume that you are referring to the no clone theorem, which says
that it is impossible to perfectly duplicate a given quantum state.
However, this ultimate level of copying fidelity cannot be fundamental
to identity, since you feel you are the same person from moment to
moment despite gross changes in the physical state of your brain. And
even if the brain does utilise quantum effects, that just means that
in duplicating it you have to duplicate the apparatus that gives rise
to these quantum effects, like duplicating the apparatus that gives
rise to interference patterns.

--
Stathis Papaioannou