Re: [sl4] Uploading (was : goals of AI)

From: John McNamara (harlequin@novastar.org)
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 07:49:52 MST

Hi Stathis,

> It is inconsistent to say you
> don't mind ordinary life but you would be afraid of destructive
> copying, because ordinary life involves gradual destructive copying.
> Stathis Papaioannou

Is it ?

Most humans are only content to accept the "existential risk" of
_gradual_ destructive copying because that's all we've experienced
during our evolutionary history.

We have no experience of instant destructive copying as a species and
its is therefore quite reasonable that one of the common varied
reactions to it is going to be some level of apprehension or fear.

Assuming our species (assuming we bother staying as a coherent
species) has been exposed to, and widely uses, instant destructive
copying for a subjectively long time we will undoubtedly display a
significantly changed range of reactions to the idea.

Best Regards
John McNamara