RE: [sl4] Uploading

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 10:45:57 MST

> On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 "Bradley Thomas" <brad36@gmail.com> said:

> It makes no sense to me to claim on the one hand the the
> clone and the original are identical and at the same time
> make the case that the person should be
> considering from the other perspective.

If you believe as I do that there is no objective or subjective
difference between the copy and the original, that even the universe
itself couldn't tell the difference, then it doesn't matter if you take
on the part of the copy or the original. But do you believe that? Most
of the time in these thought experiments people try to convince me that
there is a difference, and a huge one too. They start out with the
unstated axiom that they are the original only, and then after all sorts
of byzantine contortions that these things have the habit of undergoing
they conclude that they have proven they are the original only. Do you
think it's just a coincidence that they always choose to play the
original never the copy?

I am free to play the part of the copy or the original but you are not.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm