Re: [sl4] I saved the world. I can prove it.

From: Glenn Neff (roonie@thisoughttohelp.com)
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 05:33:48 MST

--- On Mon, 12/7/09, Panu Horsmalahti <nawitus@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Panu Horsmalahti <nawitus@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [sl4] I saved the world. I can prove it.
> To: sl4@sl4.org
> Date: Monday, December 7, 2009, 12:10 PM
> 2009/12/7 Glenn Neff <roonie@thisoughttohelp.com>
>

> It seems that you haven't read about any of the basic
> texts involving this subject, however, you're confused
> about what people (especially people on sl4 and related
> "memecomplexes" want to do. Their goal is to
> create a "Friendly AI", which by definition is not
> dangerous. And they want to create it quickly, because the
> more they wait, the more there's chance that something
> kills everyone (which is also called an existential risk).
>

> - Panu H.

So you've got everything covered then?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a risk that the AI might *not* be friendly, despite all the smartest peoples' best efforts.

And the point that I was trying to make is that we are facing an existential risk right now . . . so unless you've got that friendly AI ready to go *right* *now*, we need a different plan. What I am trying to accomplish in bringing this to your attention is to make sure that Evil people are not in control of the world when said AI is developed.

~Roonie.