Re: Copying nonsense (was Re: [sl4] Uploading (was : goals of AI))

From: M.>h (m.transhumanist@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 11 2009 - 00:11:46 MST

Am 07.12.2009 um 21:09 schrieb Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com>:

> "M.>h" wrote:
> > ... sorry, but i do not get the whole problem.
>
> You understand that I can't define something which doesn't exist.
> When I say qualia or self awareness or that little person inside
> your mind that observes the world through your senses, most people
> know what I mean.
>
> Let me put it this way. Consider the AI program that observed
> everything you did for the last several years until it became so
> good at predicting your behavior that none of your friends or
> relatives could distinguish it from you in a Turing test
> environment. Unfortunately the building containing the only copy of
> the program is on fire. It is just you and the computer in a room
> rapidly filling with smoke. There is just enough time either for you
> to get out, allowing the only copy to be destroyed, or for you to
> upload a copy of the program to a remote site over the internet with
> your last dying breath. Which do you do?

... from a rational point i would
a) think that copy and me are the same
b) assume that saving the copy is a better long-term strategy

... however i would nonetheless feel strange because if dying i would
(probably) recognise it as my *own* death, because i will (probably)
not perceive what the copy does but what i do. a distructive upload
would not have these divergences, or?

cheers,

miriam