Re: [sl4] META: closing the list

From: Gwern Branwen (gwern0@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2011 - 14:27:59 MDT

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Tim Freeman <tim@fungible.com> wrote:
> At one point there was a moratorium on discussing Friendly AI on
> LessWrong.  Is that still in effect?
>
> It always seemed weird to me to have the Singularity Institute
> sponsoring a forum and then forbidding discussion of Friendly AI on
> that forum.  If that moratorium is no longer in effect, then it's some
> inexplicable and not very important thing in the past, but if it's
> still in effect I don't understand what SIAI thinks their mission is
> any more.

The ban expired years ago and FAI has often been discussed since
(http://www.google.com/search?q=%28Friendly+AI%29+OR+FAI+site%3Alesswrong.com).

I was a little dubious of the ban as well, but it seemed to work. FAI
is important to discuss, of course, but most discussions on SL4 were
repetitious and demonstrated how email can be a bad medium as well as
a good one; it's fine for a very small number of people in simpatico,
but there's a huge inferential distance (another important LW term)
between them and everyone else which was not being resolved by SL4
threads.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net