Re: Is generalisation a limit to intelligence?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 15:13:35 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> What your comments suggest to me, Eliezer, is that we need a mathematics
> of emergence...
>
> Not an original conclusion of course, but a new perspective on this
> conclusion

And what I think, in turn, is that if a mathematics of emergence existed,
then knowing that mathematics would enable you to Jump Out Of The System
and develop a better kind of intelligence, perhaps non-emergent, perhaps
differently emergent, but not describable by the old mathematics at any
rate. Not an original perspective, of course, but perhaps a new
conclusion derived from this perspective.