Re: Event horizon

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 14:21:30 MST

Spudboy100@aol.com wrote:

> In Hans Moravec's Robot, the SuperIntelligences or SuperIntelligence; sweeps through the universe at near lightspeed, and over takes environments, objects, and civilizations. Their mass is converted into computational machinery and power. These environments, people, spaceships; are then re-created, entirely, in virtuality. All this at a micro-fraction of the orginal object's mass. The items in question would probably not know what hit them for a long time. Is that a Singularity?

samantha:
Are you sure that is in Moravec's book? I don't think he explicitly
mentions an SI sweeping through the universe much less claim that it
moves at near lightspeed. He does talk about Tipler's ideas (which are
much more inline with the above) in passing. But I don't think he
explicitly talked SI or in these terms. But perhaps my memory is
faulty. Can you point me to this? I don't believe he talks about
everything being recreated in virtuality as a serious eventuality
although he may dabble with it in his Mind Storms chapter.

-s.