Re: Beyond evolution

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 13:41:30 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> > Okay... so how come I'm Friendly?
>
> Because you, eliezer, are not an AI !!!

Right. I'm not. I was generated by evolution and I can't alter my own
source and I'm *still* Friendly.

> You, like all of us, have the whole human evolutionary animal heritage, even
> if you ~are~ a celibate teetotaler weirdo computer nerd ;> ...
>
> This heritage brings us a lot of problems, but it also brings warmth, love &
> compassion

Right. So I reified the warmth, love & compassion into a philosophy of
symmetrical moral valuation of sentient entities, used the philosophy to
take cognitive potshots at all the emotions that didn't look
sentient-symmetrical, and it worked. How is this different from a
Friendly AI maintaining Friendship in the face of any
sentient-asymmetrical emergent forces that may pop up?

> I do think future AI's will probably be nice to humans. You've convinced me
> they're unlikely to be mean, and
> unlikely to be really nuts. Very good arguments in this regard, you have.

Yes, but that's just the *baseline*. Creating friendship is a different
issue.

> But I still think that AI's will probably evolve to a point where
> they're kinda bored with us. They will then lack the warmth & caring about
> humans that we, as humans, have.
> Which is OK, isn't it?

As a "destiny of the solar system" goes, it's better than nothing - a
community of competing transhuman unFriendly AIs doing most of the
interesting stuff humanity would have done - but I still find it
undesirable if sentient rights get violated along the way. I prefer to
think of humans-turned-transhuman and their boon-drinking-companion AIs
doing all the interesting things Out There within the embrace/OS/API of a
Friendly Sysop.