RE: Military in or out?

From: John Smart (john.smart@home.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 17:08:42 MST

Eliezer wrote:

> In humans, intelligence is only one prominent variable in a network of
mutually interacting causes

I'd give it a lot more billing than that. It seems to me an inevitable and
locally dominant trajectory independent of substrate.

> The initial conditions for humans are too complex and too
> constant for us to draw that conclusion about minds in general.

It is the constancy of emergent properties (life, intelligence,
technological singularities) that amazes me, regardless of the chaos or
constancy of initial conditions (we've seen stable emergent order in both
situations. Chaos always collapses to locally emergent order).

John Smart
http://www.SingularityWatch.com
Understanding Accelerating Change