Re: Military in or out?

From: Mark Walker (tap@cgocable.net)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 18:52:18 MST

John wrote:

> It is the constancy of emergent properties ([i]life, [ii]intelligence,
>[iii] technological singularities) that amazes me, regardless of the chaos
or
> constancy of initial conditions (we've seen stable emergent order in both
[sic?]
> situations. Chaos always collapses to locally emergent order).

Even if we assume all three are related how does this provide us with a
conclusion about minds in general? If life always emerges out of chaos still
we would need further proof that it is always life like the stuff on
earth--e.g., carbon based. So if minds always emerge we would still need
further proof that they are like the ones on earth. All that we can conclude
about minds in general, from the fact that humans think like this, is that
one species of minds in general think like this. To conclude anything else
is to go beyond the data. (Deja-vu of course for students of German
Idealism). Mark.