RE: Teraflops consumer chips by 2006

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 20:09:49 MST

> Brian: These chips would be over 500 times faster than the best Athlons
> or Pentium 4s we have now. And in only 5 years. WOW
>
> Eliezer: If this is true, a medium-sized research project should
> definitely be able to buy enough power for "true AI" by 2005-2007. Of
> course, that's hardware rather than software - but still.

Ben: This kind of processing power will be awesome, of course. To be
super-rad, however,
        we'd want a commensurately inexpensive technology providing terabytes or
petabytes of RAM.
        A superfast chip makes processing a small amount of data rapid, but doesn't
solve speed
        overhead problems due to distributed processing over sockets, or paging
information back and
        forth from disk to RAM