Re: Teraflops consumer chips by 2006

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 22:53:39 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> > Brian: These chips would be over 500 times faster than the best Athlons
> > or Pentium 4s we have now. And in only 5 years. WOW
> >
> > Eliezer: If this is true, a medium-sized research project should
> > definitely be able to buy enough power for "true AI" by 2005-2007. Of
> > course, that's hardware rather than software - but still.
>
> Ben: This kind of processing power will be awesome, of course. To be
> super-rad, however,
> we'd want a commensurately inexpensive technology providing terabytes or
> petabytes of RAM.
> A superfast chip makes processing a small amount of data rapid, but doesn't
> solve speed
> overhead problems due to distributed processing over sockets, or paging
> information back and
> forth from disk to RAM

Don't worry, the first likely application of molecular electronics will be
virtually unlimited amounts of superfast RAM for cheap:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.07/moletronics.html

Probably showing up also by 2006 or sooner.

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence