Re: How To Live In A Simulation

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 02:59:28 MST

"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" wrote:

> Nick Bostrom wrote:
> >
> > Eliezer wrote:
> > >
> > >Ah, yes, but it doesn't have negligible moral weight. Suppose that
> > >there's one original Eliezer and a billion imitators. The chance that I'm
> > >the original is only one-billionth; however, the actions of that original
> > >would carry a billion times as much weight.
> >
> > Why do you think that the basement-level Eliezer's actions carry a billion
> > times more weight?
>
> Because my - his - we need new pronouns - sensory information is
> duplicated a billion times over.

Are we talking about real simulations of individuals with the ability to
make choices that they may not have made before or sort of lifelike
historical copies that merely do the same thing over and over again. If
the latter then who in the right mind would care at about doing this? I
could see uploading (assuming time travel) or recreating an individual
but then that individual is a living changing evolving being just like
any other. It is not a wind-up recording. Each Eliezer copy, a sort of
clone, would have exactly the same "weight" as the original.

- samantha