Re: Si definition of Friendliess

From: Chris Cooper (coop666@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 15:01:15 MDT

"Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" wrote:

>I would LOVE to see a planetwide crusade for the Singularity. I would
LOVE to see the public really "getting" it, all of it, and doing the right
thing for the right reasons. And not just from a utilitarian perspective,
either - it's a personal, powerful, and emotional dream that I've been
forced to give up. If it happens, I'll feel awed and humbled and a bit
sorry about underestimating people. But I currently don't expect it to
happen and don't believe I can make it happen, so that project is on a
targets-of-opportunity basis.<

As I said before, I don't expect to see you on Jay Leno anytime soon, although it
would, no doubt, be very entertaining. I think that we are essentially in agreement
here, although I seem to have traded my pessimisn for your optimism, and vice versa.
Don't give up just yet, though. Sometimes people do actually do the right thing,
though admittedly not that often.

COOP