Re: Moravec's estimates?

From: Spudboy100@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 06 2001 - 22:10:30 MDT

In a message dated 4/6/2001 11:23:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au writes:

<< Last time I looked, Moore's Guesstimate was doubling under a year.

 Damien Broderick >>
I am not sure of my source, it may just be a conjecture from Kurzweil, but
Moore's law was defined as the amount of electrical pulses one could
theoretically push through silicon. Going beyond this to other technologies
such as stacked silicon wafers, DNA computing, and optical computing, there
is certainly the potential for vastly, increased computation. Perhaps there
is now a culural meme among the industry that needs evolves once greater
computing power arrives? This seems different then Moores law in which a need
first has to occur for a computer or a computer related product to be in
demand.