Re: Webmind Inc.

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 13:30:20 MDT

Mark Walker wrote:

> Will do. Although I would have thought the first order of business for WM2
> would be to build a search engine to look for such beasts. ;) Mark

I was also wondering whether anyone had thought to ask Webmind to look for
a billionaire interested in investing in AI. OK, sure, it wouldn't have
worked, but if it *had* worked, it would have become an anecdote that
would have echoed down the generations. "Webmind AI, threatened with
extinction, finds investor to save itself." Even if Webmind failed it
would have made a good anecdote.

Did anyone try, just by way of experimentation, explaining to the current
Webmind instantiation that it's about to die? My impression is that
Webmind is far too young to react in any interesting way, but if Webmind
did anything the least bit interesting - anything the least bit humanlike;
anything that wouldn't have been done by a previous AI - it would be
terribly sad, and awesome, and beautiful, and an ending that would be
remembered forever even if Webmind's "child" someday returned... or has
the instantiation already been permanently shut down? Or will Webmind be
surviving in Brazil?