Re: ARTICLE: Memory bandwidth

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Sun Apr 15 2001 - 17:14:33 MDT

On 4/13/01 11:47 PM, "Brian Atkins" <brian@posthuman.com> wrote:

> Personally I hope they eventually move to some kind of
> optical interconnect that would allow for much higher levels of bus
> performance.
> Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much demand for such things. Most
> applications do just fine, and with upcoming hacks like large level 3 caches
> being added to northbridges, the set of applications constrained by memory
> bandwidth will shrink further.

Memory is getting faster, it just isn't getting faster fast enough. The
argument isn't particularly productive, so I'll let it drop. *All* chip
architectures put out today are within an order of magnitude of each other,
so it is really a moot point -- we'll use what we have. I work on four
different architectures (x86, Sparc, PowerPC, Alpha) at the moment, and if I
had to pick just one as the best hardware platform for AI it would probably
be the Alpha. But it doesn't really matter, because you could use any of
them.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com