RE: hello

From: Aaron McBride (amcbride@jps.net)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 14:13:50 MDT

(Is there a convention in this mailing list about posting replies on top,
or on bottom?)

I'm not a hardware guy, so I'm sure I'll be corrected when I get something
wrong. :)
You're assuming that I want to read the e out in digital form (hence the
need for the very accurate volt-meter). I wouldn't need to ever convert it
to digital for though to get 2e for example though. Let's say you wanted
to get a certain voltage at a certain place in your system. In digital,
you'd have to turn it all into an estimate (read a voltage), do your math,
then convert back into a voltage. But if we were doing it with analog (for
a neural network let's say), then we would start with a voltage, run it
through a system, and have another voltage come out the other side. As far
as the noise goes, from what I understand, the "noise" (the fuzziness) in
the qbits in the quantum computers is what we are measuring/operating on.
So, in a sense that is another thing that analog can do that digital can't:
use noise as part of the computation.
(Ok, noise can be simulated in a digital system, but that takes even more
processing power.)

Once again, I'm not saying that the whole AI needs to be analog, just that
it should use at least some analog (where appropriate). We could get into
a whole discussion on free will possibly arising out of the noise, but then
we need to ask if the AI will need free will, and what free will is, and a
thousand other questions.

-Aaron