recognition of incompetence

From: Ben Houston (ben@exocortex.org)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 10:47:13 MDT

First off, no offense intended to Aaron.

Brian said:
> I wouldn't call it a social interaction. James' "nasty" post probably
> had the quite positive effect of upping Aaron's realization of his own
> levels of incompetence. It clearly was some very constructive
criticism
> as long as Aaron takes it the right way. Better to learn more about
your
> own levels of competence here than find out the hard way sometime in
the
> future in some much more important situation (or to go through life
mis-
> believing how great your skills and knowledge are).

The background for this statement is in the following paper:

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own
Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments
By Justin Kruger and David Dunning
http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html

Cheers,
-ben houston
http://www.exocortex.org/~ben

Behalf
> Of Brian Atkins
> Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 2:26 AM
> To: sl4@sysopmind.com
> Subject: Re: hello
>
> I wouldn't call it a social interaction. James' "nasty" post probably
> had the quite positive effect of upping Aaron's realization of his own
> levels of incompetence. It clearly was some very constructive
criticism
> as long as Aaron takes it the right way. Better to learn more about
your
> own levels of competence here than find out the hard way sometime in
the
> future in some much more important situation (or to go through life
mis-
> believing how great your skills and knowledge are).
>
> "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" wrote:
> >
> > Jordan Dimov wrote:
> > >
> > > Well!! That sure turned ME off this list!
> >
> > James Rogers is not a moderator, owner, or affiliated with SIAI.
That