Re: Implications of spintronics and quantum computing

From: Jack Richardson (jrichard@empire.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 06:07:19 MDT

Brian:

This research shows that quantum computing is not only feasible but likely
to become a commercial reality within 5-6 years. The fact that they can
produce the effects from standard semiconductor materials will allow this
technology to smoothly transfer to existing production technology.

With quantum computing, we will get orders of magnitude improvement in
overall processing power. As with the latest developments at IBM, I expect
that the quantum technology will likely first be employed in optical
networks and then out to consumers like us 2-3 years later.

If all this happens as I'm suggesting, we will have desktop PCs around 2010
with the processing power of the human brain. This is about ten years
earlier than Ray Kurzweil has been predicting.

Also, this technology will support superfast networks to link up all these
superfast PCs giving us the transhuman processing power predicted for a much
later point in time.

Now if we can just get the software to catch up!