Re: Implications of spintronics and quantum computing

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 18:29:20 MDT

Jack Richardson wrote:

> Brian:
>
> This research shows that quantum computing is not only feasible but likely
> to become a commercial reality within 5-6 years. The fact that they can

<snip>

> Now if we can just get the software to catch up!

Exactly.. think how sad it will be to have the hardware and then have to
wait years for the software to get ready. Think of all the millions of
people who would die during those extra years. From my perspective, AI
research is looking woefully underfunded at this point. (somebody stop
me from banging my head against the wall...)

P.S. there is an article on Blue Gene in the July Wired.. they talk about
the spinoffs which will likely be multi-teraop supercomputers that will
take up only perhaps a single rack of floorspace, require less than 1/20th
the electrical power of existing supercomputers, and cost less than one
million bucks... perhaps closer to $100k. Oh yeah this is all scheduled
to be around 2004.

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence