RE: Flare

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 19:47:42 MDT

It was true until very recently for all Windows and Linux *and Solaris*
JVM's. Sun claims they'll have a 64 bit JVM coming out sometime, but the
launch date has been frequently postponed.

I haven't tried IBM's new 64 bit JVM, actually, though I have read about it,
e.g.

http://service2.boulder.ibm.com/devtools/news0101/art14.htm

Interesting work at IBM on scalable Java is at

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj39-1.html

All this is quite new, and I don't know how well it works. Experience shows
that marketing literature is a poor guide to actual functionality for such
systems. I do know IBM has invested a lot of time and money in this.

For us, when we decided to re-implement Webmind to change the *architecture*
(while keeping the mathematical and conceptual basis the same), it was a
tough choice whether to stick with Java (in light of all the progress IBM
and others are making, albeit slowly) or to go with C++. But ultimately, we
decided that if we were going to re-code the system for efficiency, we might
as well go all the way.

-- ben