RE: Flare

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 20:19:19 MDT

Not to get too far carried away with this thread, but there are a lot of
annoying subtleties here.

For instance, a 64 bit JVM gives you more memory, but it also causes each
object to *consume* more memory, by using 64 bit ints, floats, etc.

Now, one can get around this via cleverness, e.g. by using bit-masking to
store parameters in ints (a 64 bit int stores more parameters this way than
a 32 bit one). However, if one has to do this kind of "virtual pointer
pushing" to get Java to perform decently, one has to wonder, why not just
use C++? ;>

ben