Re: Flare

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 20:28:50 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> Not to get too far carried away with this thread, but there are a lot of
> annoying subtleties here.
>
> For instance, a 64 bit JVM gives you more memory, but it also causes each
> object to *consume* more memory, by using 64 bit ints, floats, etc.

I don't see the big problem... the 64bit address space should allow for
something like 2^32 times as much memory, not simply double the 2GB
current limit. Who cares if your code takes up twice the mem when running
if you can have access to so much more memory. Or am I missing something?

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence