Re: Augmenting humans is a better way

From: Arona Ndiaye (arona1@em8s.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 22:01:02 MDT

Quoting James Higgins:

As for Real AI, when someone gets one working then we can talk.

The whole point is to do the talking before and get it 'right'. "then we can
talk" is a pipe dream if whoever creates the 1st Real AI gets it wrong,
which is likely to happen as long as ppl have the attitude that you do have
about it. I can understand that you are not conviced. What I cannot grasp
are your 'technical', 'architectural', 'design' etc... reasons.
Just saying it won't happen for whatever reason is sweet but that's all it
is =)

The fact is that no one knows what Real AI is going to require

*cough*
Did you really read FAI ? Did you read all of the material on Low Beyond ?
Did you read the SL4 archives ? If you did (****and understood it****) and
still believe the sentence above, well... either nothing will ever convince
you or your understanding of intelligence is quite different from the
understanding most people have of it on this list. Should it be the 2nd
case, please enlighten us =)

. As for destructive technologies, nothing. My personal belief
is that either super intelligence will promote friendliness or we're doomed.

We are doomed already. SIAI is the exit as far as certain persons are
concerned. =)

Most kind regards,

Arona,