RE: ESSAY: AI and Effective Sagacity

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 13:48:20 MDT

At 10:01 AM -0700 8/2/01, Peter Voss wrote:
>About Sagacity: I think that the *ability* to 'fidget' is needed in AI - it
>forms the basis for thousands of automatized (learned, sub-conscious)
>behaviors, crucial to overall cognition & intelligence. However, the huge
>advantage that an AI has over human effectiveness, is that it should be
>relatively easy to make it focus and concentrate on pursuing its (important)
>goals. So while it must be able 'to drive' (or whatever) while thinking
>about other things, but it probably won't get addicted to TV, games, or
>email lists.

I think this is a good way to explaining how the Sysop might work.
Lots of vis job is going to be fidgeting, just doing basic blocking
that will hardly require any effort. But, there are going to be
cases that require careful consideration and more resources. Thus,
the Sysop will have enough resources (aside from the fact that ve
will be assigning resources and of course make sure ve has enough)
because not every situation will require even close to an equal
number of cycles.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose