Re: ESSAY: AI and Effective Sagacity

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 14:07:33 MDT

At 1:48 AM -0600 8/2/01, Mitch Howe wrote:
>The poor endurance of Sage, and its desire to rest at an optimum
>lower-stress activity level also sheds light on many kinds of
>procrastination, since the thing you put off doing is often some special
>case that requires a higher Sage activity level. "I can't study anymore for
>my final. I must go for a swim and work on my tan." "I can't finish
>writing about levels of thought right now. I must play Diablo II for a
>couple of hours."

I would like to interject here that certain some people tend to
differ in this (and I'll use myself as an example).

Here is something of what my typical day is like:

- wake up, do some regular morning stuff
- for and hour or two I keep sage busy with e-mail and Web pages
- eat something
- for seven or eight hours what now happens is that I sit at the
computer unless someone makes me get away and I just change what sage
is doing every couple of hours. It's hard to do the same thing with
sage for more than about 3 hours I find, so I just make it do
something else. Maybe I do e-mail for an hour or two, go write code
for a few hours, maybe read some, go back to e-mail, etc.. During
this time I have to get up sometimes because my body needs to
(bathroom, exercise muscles, let other muscles rest, etc.).
- I have to eat again
- Relax for a couple hours, maybe watch 30 minutes of TV, read Web comics, etc.
- Back to do a few more hours of sage activity
- Finally I get physically tired, take a shower and go to bed

So, I sleep about 7 hours, leaving me with 17, so I guess I am using
sage for about 12 or 13 hours a day. Now, I'll admit, I can't do
this everyday, since other people are good at breaking me away from
it, but this is what I do if no one interrupts me. Also, I should
note that when I was in school, it was mind numbing, so sage got lazy
and I only got a couple hours out of it a day (and they certainly
weren't devoted to school, but I keep going because I want the
general education but I won't get it on my own because I'll learn
specific things that I'm really interested in, but I know that
general knowledge is very useful).

Anyway, I doubt I'm the only person in the world who uses sage more
often than fidget (at least when it hasn't been numbed by school) and
I think we're an important group of people when it comes to sagacity.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose