Re: Bad memes Re: Opting out of the Sysop scenario?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 22:24:32 MDT

At 11:07 PM -0400 8/4/01, Brian Atkins wrote:
>Gordon Worley wrote:
>>
>> If you want to go somewhere, that's fine, but you are still going to
>> be under Sysop control. The Sysop is not just one process, but many
>
>Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>>
>> The sysop controls and allocates all available resources. To opt
>> out, the sysop will have to allocate some resources to you so that you
>> can maintain a separate existence. What is the equitable way to decide
>> which resources should be allocated to you?
>
>I really have to warn you guys to stay away from anything implying
>control or central planning since that will get some bad reactions.
>The UNIX Bastard Operator From Hell (i.e. Sysop :-) is not generally
>theorized to keep active control over everyone and everything. The way I
>envision it is it divides up the matter at the beginning of the BOFH's
>reign, and after that it is up to each Citizen's control to do what they
>want with it. So no, the atoms are not centrally controlled except at the
>very beginning of the game, and later on only when they need to be stopped
>from doing certain things. And even then it is unlikely there will be
>any centrality to it. That just won't scale. It is going to have to
>be a distributed system, probably with only a certain maximum allowed
>distance between each Sysop mind and the edge of the matter it has
>potential control over.
>
>(oh by the way, you can see the UNIX meme also has some downsides :-)

This whole post really illustrates my frustration in trying to
communicate about the Sysop. I've worked through it in my mind and
have a good idea of what it should be like (though I hope to refine
it more and eventually have the actual Sysop really refine it (yes,
Eli, this is simplified wording because I'm lazy, but I probably
spent more effort to explain myself than to say the correct thing
clearly)), but explaining this complex idea in a way that makes sense
and doesn't scare people is tough. Good thing I have the list to
warn me when I start sounding like 'Uncle Joe' Stalin. ;-) Oh, and
maybe a few more years to write about the Sysop and come up with good
wording before lots more people start to notice doesn't hurt, either.

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose